Elevation: Chapter 2
Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
As we discussed at our August Town Hall meeting, we're moving into our next chapter of Elevation's story by really investing in our City Groups. City Groups are meant to be "missional community". It's in this type of setting where lives and communities can be transformed by the gospel. That can happen in a one hour meeting once a week on Sunday morning. I guess. That's primarily a worship gathering. But as discipleship it's more of a "drive by" version as opposed to doing so in an intentional community on mission. We'll always have people who only engage with us on Sunday morning (and that's okay) but it's my goal to have every person who calls Elevation their church family to be part of a City Group.
WHAT IS IT?
What is a "missional Community”? It’s a family of missionary servants who make disciples who make disciples. Couple leaders plus handful of other people who live near each other. Together you...
- Identify "your people": For example, the people of Wyoming Park, musicians, sports parents/kids/coaches, etc.
- As disciples, you REORIENT your lives around "your people".
- Love each other as a family as you serve "your people"
WHAT IS IT NOT?
While it is these things in part, it isn't SOLELY these things...
- MC doesn’t solely exist FOR the church, but FOR their city/neighborhood/people
- It isn’t solely a social affinity group (let’s go play golf!)
- It’s not solely a bible study
- It’s not solely social activism or your community garden
- It’s not solely that monthly service project
- It's not really for people who drive in from a distance
- It’s not solely a support group
- It’s not solely a weekly event (our place dinner, go to a movie, kids game, etc)
We're going to begin to be equipped to move into this new chapter through coaching from SOMA Communities. Once a month on a monday night you are welcome to join us for a time of food and learning. Then in the spring we can launch another (we have one that Jenni and I host) or maybe more. Watch for training dates in the bulletin on on Facebook.
In the meantime, here is a 10 minute video showing what missional community can look like.
Check it out. Be inspired. Don't hestitate to contact me if you have any questions.
If you'd like to get a taste of what our trainings will cover, here is a trailer: